Mother’s Day presents an opportunity to honour all the wonderful mums out there and recognise their daily love and devotion, and what better way for children to thank their mothers than by creative a personal gift?
In this article, we’ll be sharing four cute DIY crafts for that students can make, with the help of their teachers, to present to their mum on this special day.
1. Take a blank tote bag and place it on cardboard or put a piece of paper inside the tote bag to prevent paint from bleeding through.
2. Encourage the kids to sketch or write a special message with a pencil on the tote bag.
3. Once the design is ready, grab a paint palette and fill it with your favourite colours.
4. Grab your paint brushes and begin neatly filling in the sketch you created. It is a good idea to start with lighter colours first and then build up to darker colors.
5. Let each color dry before adding the next layer of paint to avoid smudging.
6. If using stencils or sponge brushes, place them on the tote bag and lightly dab paint onto the bag. Be sure to remove the stencil or sponge brush immediately after painting to avoid smudging.
7. After the paint is dry, your kids can add any final touches to the design with a smaller brush or with fabric markers.
8. Your cute DIY tote bag is ready for your mum to take on a shopping spree.
Adorable Heart Slider Card
- Take a piece of coloured copy paper and mark 12cm lengthwise and 6cm widthwise.
- Take scissors and carefully cut the marked lines leaving 1cm on both sides. This will create a window for the heart slider.
- Cut a second piece of copy paper in a contrasting colour to the same size as the front of the card.
- Draw a heart on the second piece of paper, making sure it is smaller than the window in the front of the card. Neatly cut out the heart into two pieces.
- Cut a strip of paper that is slightly wider than the heart, and as long as the card is wide. This will be your slider.
- Glue the heart to the top of the slider and the other piece to the end of the other side.
- Slide the heart and the second slider into the window on the front of the card. Make sure the sliders move easily back and forth.
- Decorate the front of the card with markers, buttons, rhinestones, or a glitter pen.
- Write your message inside the card, and give it to your mum!
Cute Circle Envelope Card
- Begin by selecting 2 different copy papers in your desired colours.
- Using a compass or circular object, trace a circle onto the centre of your square piece of paper. Similary, draw 3 more circles and cut them out using scissors.
- Fold the 4 circle cut-outs in half for creating the walls of your envelope.
- Apply glue or double-sided tape to the flaps of your envelope and press them down to secure them in place.
- You can decorate the front of your envelope with decorative paper, stickers, or buttons.
- To create the card to go inside the envelope, cut another piece of copy paper that is slightly smaller than your envelope’s opening.
- Write your special message on this piece of paper for your mum, and then insert it into your envelope.
Modelling Clay Flowers
1. Take a cardboard carton and draw a design or shape that you want to fill with modelling clay. Use snap cutter to carefully cut out the design.
2. Now take a painting colour of your choice and begin painting the cardboard cut-out using a paint brush and let it dry.
3. Take one colour of your modelling clay and knead it until it is soft and pliable. Roll out the clay using a rolling pin on a flat surface or use your hands to give it a desired shape.
4. After creating a design, carefully press the clay onto the cardboard cut-out, making sure that it is smooth and even. You can use your fingers or a flat tool to help smooth out the clay.
5. Using another colour of modelling clay, repeat the rolling and cutting process until you have several pieces of clay in different colours.
6. Using clay tools, create details on your clay pieces, such as lines or small shapes. You can also use small cookie cutters or shaping tools to create more complex shapes.
7. Once you have all of your clay pieces and details created, you can begin to assemble your DIY on a cardboard cut-out.
8. If you want to create a 3D effect, you can use small pieces of clay to raise some of the pieces off the surface. Press them down gently to secure them in place.
9. Allow your modeling clay DIY on a cardboard cut-out to dry according to the instructions on the package. This can take anywhere from a few hours to overnight.
10. Take a ribbon and cut it out using scissors for making a hanger on the back of your cardboard, use a glue stick or a tape to adhere the ribbon hanger.